[pianotech] Book publishing

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 04:46:38 PDT 2009

List - I would just like to second Ed Sutton's message about submitting
technical material to the Journal.  I can say from personal experience that
it is just a great thing to do. Everyone who has been in the business for
very long, probably has ideas they could share. Just because you don't "know
it all" doesn't mean you don't have worthwhile methods and ideas that others
would love to hear about. I certainly don't know it all - far from it, in
fact, and I'm able to come up with monthly articles about procedures that we
use in our shop that someone else hopefully could profit from.

So if you're sitting there thinking, "Well, I could try writing about this,"
give it a try. The worse that could happen might be a polite, "No thanks,"
from the editor. It's been my experience, however, that the Journal staff is
very willing to work to help bring your ideas to light. It's really fun to
see your own ideas published in the Journal - something that beforehand, you
would never think could happen.

One hint, as far as writing about shop procedures. Take pictures, and lots
of them. Good photos provide the framework for a well written article. With
digital photography, it's simple to shoot a process from multiple angles,
and go through them on the computer to find the best shot. (You would be
amazed at the number of shop related photos I have on my computer!)

Give it a try! It can really be a positive experience!  Chuck Behm