[pianotech] word wrap in archives

Scott Jackson scottwaynejackson at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 12 18:19:35 PDT 2009

David,
Strangely, your message below looks fine to me when viewed at
http://ptg.org/pipermail/pianotech_ptg.org/2009-April/007420.html but
http://ptg.org/pipermail/pianotech_ptg.org/2009-April/007155.html and
http://ptg.org/pipermail/pianotech_ptg.org/2009-April/007158.html do exhibit
the problem of which you speak. The problem occurs when our mail software
converts html mail messages into plain text to store in the archive. If you
look at a message from someone who always sends plain text, there is no
problem eg.
http://ptg.org/pipermail/pianotech_ptg.org/2009-April/007022.html.

So, the possible solutions that I can see are:

1. Try to get everyone on the list to only send plain text messages, not
html formatted. This has been tried over and over without success over very
many years. You could lead by example by turning off your own "Rich Text
(html)" format and only sending "Plain Text". I am just as guilty of
forgetting this myself.

2. Suggest to Microsoft to add a "Word Wrap" option to Internet Explorer, as
is available in other programs such as Notepad. You may have more success
with an open source browser at http://www.mozilla.org/ , as someone may be
able to add such an option as an Add-on or Extention.

3. Learn how our Mailman software works, and maybe you will find a solution.
The manual can be found at http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/docs.html .

Best of luck,

Scott Jackson