[pianotech] tuning-of course

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Wed Apr 8 12:08:18 PDT 2009

Well, that was opportune for me!

Appointment with new customer today, 110 year old 7' Bechstein (bought not too long ago from local piano dealer). She said she didn't feel it sounded right last time it was tuned, last year.  It was certainly very jangly.

A beast to tune, just wasn't co-operating at all. Lately I've used Protek sometimes on metal bearing points; v-bars, agraffes, but it hadn't occurred to me to try it on bearing felt. This piano had bearing felt about 2 1/2" wide, with the strings quite well dug-in. I tried a very fine line of Protek run in along the side of each string across the bearing felt (starting with a few experimentally) and it made a very satisfactory difference.

Very satisfying to read a new tip last night, try it out today, and find it so effective!

Best,

David.