[pianotech] Aural Tuning vs ETD and Associate Guild Status

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 8 09:20:34 PDT 2009

I have been a piano technician for 40 years. When I started, aural tuning
was the ONLY approved method of tuning a piano properly. What passed for
ETD's at that time weren't designed for it, as it was explained to me. I had
already learned to tune aurally and my ears cost me nothing, they came with
the package, so the thought of acquiring one didn't occur to me.
Fast forward 30 years I joined the Guild and I found that many if not all of
the members of my chapter were using ETD's and I was considered somewhat of
a dinosaur for not using one. About 2 years ago our chapter had, as a tech
session, everyone bring their ETD for comparison and I had a chance to see
them in action. I saw some I didn't care for and some I did, one in
particular seemed to match my ear and my style. I resolved to acquire it
when I could afford it.
I bought my CyberTuner last September.
I've seen the question asked what would you do if your ETD stopped working
in the middle of a tuning? Well mine did, The battery warning flashed and I
changed to a freshly charged one and instead of powering up the way it
should have, it lost all of it's programming including the tuning program
and I was left sitting there with a Compaq Ipaq with no tuning program in
it.
So I shut it off and finished the tuning aurally, not a problem really, just
a minor irritation. I bought the unit because I was told by my friends that
I could tune more pianos in a day with less stress/fatigue and that is true.
It is a manmade unit and like all manmade things will have problems
occasionally which is why I have a backup,me!

By the way Dean Reyburn was very apologetic about the problem, had me ship
it back to him and repaired the problem at no cost.

I am still an associate in the Guild, I have never been treated any worse or
any better than anyone else in my chapter.

I have certainly made some friends and some enemies on this list but I don't
believe it was ever because of my associate status.

It was usually because I had an opinion, frequently not stated very well.

Mike

--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404