[pianotech] Old upright

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Apr 8 21:31:00 PDT 2009

Gerald Groot wrote:
> *If I don't think a job will turn out to MY expectations, knowing from
> past experience how certain pianos have turned out when I did them
> anyway in my earlier years, I tell them what I would do with it, if it
> were MY piano.  *
>
> * *
>
> *If I don't think it should be fixed, I say so.  If I don't think it is
> worth it, I say so.  If I feel it is on the line of being worth it, or
> maybe not being worth it, I say so.  My own honesty and integrity is
> always the best policy regardless of how much money is being spent or to
> what extent they are doing the work.  I feel that it is my job as their
> hired technician to direct them in the right direction whether that be
> to junk the piano, rebuild it or to purchase a new one.  *
>
> * *
>
> *If they insist on having it fixed anyway against my recommendations, I
> walk away knowing full well that regardless of what they want, they will
> still have the tendency, hopes and expectations that the piano will turn
> out better than it probably will when in fact, I know full well that it
> won't.  My reputation is on the line too.  I want a piano that will
> sound like it should when I'm finished.  *
>
> * *
>
> *Jer*

It depends, doesn't it, on whether you spec what it takes to
do it right, or work from the owner's list? I guarantee my
proposal will cost WAY more than the minimal patch up the
owner wants on their long dead Pfamily Photo shelf, but should
they accept it (knowing it's FAR more than the piano will EVER
be worth on the open market), the piano will be something I'll
be happy to take credit for.
Ron N