[pianotech] Gold Steinway Damper Heads

David G. Hughes, RPT davidghughesrpt at comcast.net
Fri Apr 10 10:06:48 PDT 2009

Hello All,

    I currently have Steinway L #224003, circa 1923, in the shop for
restoration. This is obviously one of the first Ls made, as there were some
pretty blatant errors made in the bellying of the piano. I suspect they
didn't quite have their game plan down for this new model, but this is
fodder for discussion on another day.
    The damper heads on this instrument are gold colored, apparently the
same color as the plate bronzing, although the piano had been "rebuilt" once
before entering my shop so I can't confirm this color match. At first I
assumed the previous restorer had painted the damper heads this (unnerving?)
color, but on close inspection it appears to be a factory job. I have seen
numerous 1953 centennial Steinways with gold damper heads, but never an
instrument of this vintage.
    Can anyone shed any light on this anomaly for me? Has anyone else
encountered a Steinway of this age with factory-applied gold paint to the
damper heads?
    Many thanks.

    Dave Hughes, RPT
    Baltimore Chapter