[pianotech] old piano soundboards

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 10 21:45:16 PDT 2009

Hi Wim,

The sounding board and bridges along with most other things must always be
taken into consideration in any job.  Whether it be rebuilding or
reconditioning.  If it's full of cracks or if the cracks run through the
bridges or, if the bridges or bridge pins are split, then a decision must be
made regarding these things one way or the other.  Especially if it affects
the overall sound of the piano and/or tone.

Strictly speaking of old neglected uprights and I'm thinking OLD uprights,
then to me, it's not worth the investment of replacing and/or shimming the
sounding board.  For me, it doesn't matter if the client wants it done or
not.  If I don't think it's worth doing I try and talk them out of it.
Money isn't everything.  Knowing what the final outcome will most likely be
in this particular case is most important to me and if they insist on doing
it regardless, I turn it down.

My dad always stressed two things.  Well, he stressed much more than that
but, these are two of them.  1.  If you're not sure of yourself, or how it
will come out, don't do it.  2.  If you even think, or question that it
might not come out to your own satisfaction, don't do it.

99% of the time, I am able to convince these people to purchase something
else whether used or new, by explaining $$$ spent on their piano versus $$$
spent instead on an upgrade instead.  That $$$ will go a long way towards
another purchase as it can add up very quickly.

Now, on the other hand, if the piano is worth it and if it will turn out
really nice well, then, that could be a different matter.

If I ask these same people later on if they think they made the right
decision after they purchased a new piano or something better, the
inevitable answer is always yes.  They thank me for my straight shooting and
honesty.  So, in my opinion, rather than taking the money and running with
it, I give the best advice that I can with the constant thought in my mind
of; "what would I do if this were my own piano?"

Jer