[pianotech] newman planer, powermatic bandsaw

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Apr 12 04:02:23 PDT 2009

The size planer you are looking at is way more than adequate. I have a 20" and the only thing I really need that for is soundboard panel building - although it is nice to run a double pinblock through it. If you are not building these kinds of things, then a smaller planer will do. My original 12-1/2" DeWald two-knife planer worked well for me for many years, although running pinblocks and such through it took its toll on the two little flimsy blades - best to go at least one step up from what I had - maybe a 13" with three blades.

Those old monster planers you are looking at - I've never owned one, and so I don't really know much about them - other than if in reasonable condition, they can go for centuries. It doesn't sound like they are giving it away - just like someone shopping for a used piano should, I'd recommend having someone experienced with these beasts inspect if with you prior to purchase.

FWIW, you can get the same planer I have for only $1,500  http://grizzly.com/products/20-Planer/G0454  or you can upgrade to a spiral cutterhead for less than $2,500. It may not be quite the beast you are looking at, but it does have quite a large beastie factor. My understanding is that the main planer at the Charles Walter Piano Company factory is my planer with the spiral cutterhead. Are you building more pianos than them?  ;-)

I have about the same lack of information for you for the bandsaw as I did for the planer.

http://owwm.com/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=973

The Specifications:
Powermatic No. 141 14" Wood-Cutting Band Saw
Serial No. 741252