[pianotech] Commercial value vs. sentimental value

Ken & Pat Gerler kenneth.gerler at prodigy.net
Sun Apr 12 11:18:16 PDT 2009

As a counter to it being "bad" technicians that do little to make the piano better, it is the "customers" looking for a "cheap" job rather than a "quality" job. I have two instruments in St. Louis that I can comment on.

The first is a 6' Steinway. I tuned the piano in 1980 and advised the church that the piano needed rebuilding and gave references to several rebuilders in St. Louis - never heard more. In 1995 I was called on to tune the piano. It had been rebuilt by a novice - it was quite obvious - pins were facing the soundboard and not the keyboard - pin block drilled wrong.  Action was unresponsive. Again I advised that the piano should be NOW rebuilt by a "competent" rebuilder. The new pastor raised the funds and had it rebuilt by a quality rebuilder - I love servicing the piano now.

The second is a 6' Sohmer & Co. Again refinished by an excellent "furniture" refinisher but they knew nothing about pianos!  I was called for emergency service. The hammer line looked like "saw teeth", some hammers blocked; others hardly played (regulation of capstans so far out); alignment of hammers way off. When the outside was refinished, the keybed was not covered and there is overspray all over it. The lyre is falling apart; the bass bridge is loose from the soundboard on the bass end and buzzing so I put a rubber mute wedge in to stop that buzzing; and the torque is "nonexistent" on a number of pins BUT they got the piano from a "friend" and are not ready to put any additional money in the piano.  Every time I am called to tune, it is "way out" making it obvious the integrity of the piano is in question...

So go figure...

Ken Gerler