[pianotech] Commercial value vs. sentimental value

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Apr 12 11:55:43 PDT 2009

Ken & Pat Gerler wrote:
> As a counter to it being "bad" technicians that do little to make the
> piano better, it is the "customers" looking for a "cheap" job rather
> than a "quality" job. I have two instruments in St. Louis that I can
> comment on.

The Walmart marketing model has taught us well.

As to rebuilding, why is it that refinishing is always right
at the top of the list, since it has virtually nothing to do
with rebuilding the instrument? "Furniture" ought to be
declared the "F" word for piano technicians.

Years back, I had a customer looking for a piano. He wanted a
Steinway, naturally, but didn't like the prices quoted for new
or competently rebuilt instruments, so he shopped around. He
called me one day to schedule a tuning. He'd bought a rebuilt
Steinway, and it was to be delivered in a couple of days. I
told him I'd like to see the piano before the delivery people
got away. He couldn't imagine why, so I told him.

He called me just AFTER the delivery truck had left instead of
when it arrived, as I'd asked. I took him on a tour of the
piano, pointing out every single thing I'd warned him would be
there. It was refinished, reasonably well, with all the brass
polished. That's the good part. It had new keytops, not filed
to fit the keys, so they rubbed together. The worn out
original bushings helped some in that area. New strings,
original pinblock with at least 4/0 pins, cracked bridge cap,
original concave crowned soundboard, badly shimmed, original
action with new hammers. The dampers didn't work at all well,
and it was badly out of regulation. Standing back and looking
at it, it gleamed all nice and shiny, but most of what should
have been done in a real rebuild, to actually improve the
performance of the instrument, wasn't.

I've seen sooooooooo many of these through the years, usually
after someone has gotten themselves a bargain and called me to
come make it work for them. It couldn't take much, right?
After all, most of the work is already done. Just needs some
tweaking and buffing.

Ron N