[pianotech] newman planer, powermatic bandsaw

Greg Newell gnewell at ameritech.net
Sun Apr 12 13:50:17 PDT 2009

Bob,

                I too was tired of having to coddle my machinery along, as you put it. The straw that broke my back was running long oak boards that were 4-6” wide through my Delta 12 ½” planer and having them bog down and gouge the wood. I tried the same thing with my Delta drum sander and a heavy grit paper with roughly the same results. The Yates American I bought for $1,000 doesn’t care what I throw in there it chews it up and spits it out the other end in record time. Kind of scary actually.

                I never “did the math” and really don’t much care to. I have only a rudimentary understanding of electricity. That’s why I had a friend wire it up for me.  I’m aware of how these machines should perform and what it takes to slow them down and have never heard them so much as hiccup with any kind of wood in any dimension. That’s enough for me. If I am, truly, getting a 1/3 reduction in power with resulting heat buildup and motor wear I surely can’t tell.  YMMV. J

Greg Newell

Greg's Piano Forté

www.gregspianoforte.com

216-226-3791 (office)