[pianotech] newman planer, powermatic bandsaw

jim ialeggio jimialeggio at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 08:36:48 PDT 2009

I might rethink the Newman planer, but not beacuse of the 3 pahse.

Its an industrial machine, meant for hogging though miles of lumber. It
will, when set up well, produce a good finish, but it will want you to chew
off larger cuts per pass than I personally ever need to chew through for
this work, or for my limited production runs of sash and doors.

Its applicability depends on exactly what you want to do with it. I would
suggest you carefully detail what you are trying to accomplish with it
before you jump. If kissing off small amounts of stock to balance the cut
front to back, is important to  you (as it is to me), you will probably be
dissapointed.  Sometimes shooting for the maximum width of cut as the one
defining aspect of "what you need" ignores other issues which will trump the
width capacity.

 The 14" Powermatic 50-'s-70's vintage is a favorite and cherished machine
in small cabinet shops. It can be rebuilt well if its not up to snuff right
now. The only limit would be its resaw capacity. Again define what you are
looking for before deciding to jump.

Regarding the 3 phase question:

20 years ago when I was getting serious about my woodworking I made the
decision to bring 3 phase machinery into my shop.

The reasoning was 2 fold:

1-the level of machinery available was much heavier.

Heavy, when set up well means long term service and..for me this is the real
trump...stability. Vibration free cuts means a level of accuracy and control
which will redine the accuracy and speed of what you can produce. It will
also redefine how you think about and approach a project or task.

I never use any of my heavy machinery up to its industrial capacity, but
after calibrating any of these machines I know I can walk up to any one, any
day, and produce a dead flat or square operation, with minimal blowout and
minimal setup and fussing. Further I have control of the precision of the
setups throughout any of the limited runs my projects entail.

So the industrial capacity, for me, is not about running 1000's of board ft
of stock, its about stability of setup and cuts, as well as trouble free
operation.
2- 3 phase capability means you are not competing with hobbyist
cabinetmakers for the used machinery. Not only are you not competing with
them, this machinery, because of its 3phaseness is often begging for a
purchaser...again not because of quality of the machine per se, but because
of the 3 phase

I run a rotary converter, which I turn on when I'm using the 3 phase stuff.
My largest HP combo, an SCMI 1-1/4" shaper, is a 5 hp machine with 1hp
powerfeed. The converter is a 7hp old GE motor with capaitor etc setup for
the 3 pase leg (put together by a local electrician who knew what he was
doing). There is HP drop, but it has never effected any operation in the
entire time I've used 3phase, and I pay no attention to it. If I was running
a lumber yard, and large bd ft of stock..maybe, but  maybe not...I don't
bother worrying about it at all.

Another point for the 3 phase is that these motors are so simple they simply
don't wear out like single phase motors, assuming good bearings.
As you can probably guess, I am no fan of chinese import machines. The
electronics are very questionable, repair parts in the long term are
questionable, resale value is very low, and the purchase cost is higher for
less machine than well chosen 50's-70's vintage cast iron .

The only caveat with the 50-'s-70's vintage cast iron is that you need a
good nose for used machinery and  be willing to do your own calibration
and/or some restoration.

One last point. The "restored" machines offered by many dealers are painted
up to look pretty, but often need anything from fine tune calibration to
major work. I never trust them!

Look over the machine, don't be impressed with the paint job and bargain
them down with a vengenance...especially in this economy!

Jim I

Grandpianosolutions.com (under construction)
Shirley, MA  (978) 425-9026