[pianotech] Thomas piano

Norman Dutton duttonpiano at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 13 17:19:18 PDT 2009

Thank you all for the info about this piano. The article from the
Mechanical Music Digest satisfied my curiosity about why someone would
build a piano like the Thomas. It looks like the keys are a particular
weak point in these pianos. All of the keys in this piano are working,
though some repairs have been made to the end where the capstan screws
in. Someone had glued a wooden piece to the end of the key. I did some
investigation, not an exhaustive amount, and wasn't able to figure out
how the keys connected to the aluminum keyframe. Evidently, there is a
clip that holds each key on.

Even before I tuned the piano, I told the client that I didn't know how
long it would hold a tune, due to the aluminum frame. The piano doesn't
get a lot of use and was basically up to A440, which I found to be
encouraging.

Norm Dutton