[pianotech] dating a rebuild

Barbara Stephens enforcer_12 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 14 07:53:13 PDT 2009

I recently had to do an appraisal for a church of a Steinway that had previously been "rebuilt".  Of course, no one knows any of the history of the piano and I couldn't find any personal information or dates the "rebuilder" might have left.  I'm looking for the approximate year of rebuild-the only clue I have: several shanks were replaced (the rest are all original).  The replacement shanks have Teflon bushings.  So, when did the average rebuilder stop using Teflon bushed shanks?

Thanks,

Barbara Stephens

Associate Member

Mayhill, NM