[pianotech] A difficult challange

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Apr 15 12:52:39 PDT 2009

Hi folks.

Recently got called to do a CD and DVD recording session. The instrument
was a nearly new 9 foot Bohemia from the Czech Republic. A real bear to
tune really... lots of problems typically associated with these Czech
instruments....tho all  in all a reasonably nice sound once all is done.
Thats always been their saving grace. A nice overall sound picture.

This instrument however on this date was quite difficult.  Lots of
unsteadyness to the tone, not classic false beats but plagued with
phasing like sounds that just would not go away no matter what was
done.  To top it off this was to be a live session. I was given 2 hours
before they started and was to be on hand the whole day in case a string
broke or something... but was in fact not allowed to touch the piano the
whole day.  So the piece below is the last one recorded on the first day.

The artist is Suzanna Hlinka, a native Czech living in Australia. Niece
of world famous Professor Juri Hlinka from same county. Professor Hlinka
was one of Leif Ove Andsnes's principle instructors through many of his
earlier years among other things.  This is the Maestoso from
Rachmanninoff - 6 moments musicaux op. 16.

The tuning is my own version of the perfect 12ths priority.  I have my
own temperament sequence and set perfect 3:1 12ths for all notes from
D3-A4 upwards and a best fit of 12th types 6:1 6:2 and 3:1 for the bass.
This is accomplished strictly by aid of Pocket Tunelab and then tweaked
by ear.

The recording is not the best by any means... but you get a very good
idea of the instrument and its qualities.  Its a bit ... compact and
chalky in the upper mid diskant for my liking.  This is especially
noticeable when she pushes the piano.  The tuning held up quite well
really.  This is after about 5 hours of hard playing with no touch up in
between.

http://www.pianostemmer.no/music/maestoso.mp3

Hope you enjoy.
Cheers