[pianotech] Brands prone to breaking plates

Pianoman pianoman at accessus.net
Thu Apr 16 17:01:22 PDT 2009

So far, I have had only 1 plate break on me while tuning.  It was back in
the early 1960s and I was tuning an Estey console (used) the day before
delivery  at Aeolian Co. of MO.  All of a sudden CRACK as I had just made
the jump to the treble section from the middle.  That model Estey has no
flange area on the perimeter of the plate. The plate is almost flat.  My
employers gave me the piano and I used its casework and used it to reframe
my bathroom window.  Probably the only bathroom window made of genuine
veneered mahogany.
James
James Grebe
Since 1962
Piano Tuning & Repair
Creator of Handsome Hardwood Products(
314) 608-4137   1526 Raspberry Lane   Arnold, MO 63010
Researcher of St. Louis Theatre History
BECOME WHAT YOU BELIEVE!
www.grebepiano.com