[pianotech] Good business reads - perhaps OT

phil at emvkeys.ca phil at emvkeys.ca
Fri Apr 17 06:21:30 PDT 2009

Hi list - if this should be listed as off topic, certainly say so

I'm still in my first year of business as a piano technician so I
haven't much to contribute of technical value at this point.
I have, however, had many years in various businesses (successful and
otherwise) and I'd like to make a suggestion in response to recent
threads surrounding the various business aspects of our trade - that is,
the submission to the list of short reviews of written business
resources that are not specific to our industry

May I suggest a few good reads which, being principle-based, might have
profitable application for those of us who don't have a full schedule,
for whatever reason.

Here are two to start with

*1. Guerilla Marketing: /Secrets for Making Big Profits From Your Small
Business /*- Jay Conrad Levinson* - *I was given this book as part of a
marketing seminar I attend several years ago. It basically covers about
a bazillion things a small business owner can do /virtually for free/
to market his/her small business. Not everything applies to every small
business but the clarified Guerrilla Marketing principles cause the
reader to think differently about advertising methods and their
effectiveness, highlighting the fact that small businesses have a huge
advantage over large corporations with multi-million dollar advertising
budgets. This book has spawned somewhat of a cult following as well as a
number of follow-up books and resources. The original book is certainly
out of date (pre-internet) but still valuable and available. Get it new
or used from Amazon for about 4 bucks. Highly recommended by Phil.

Guerilla Marketing Website: http://www.gmarketing.com
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0395906253/guerrillmarke-20

2. *Raving Fans: /A Revolutionary Approach To Customer Service/ - *Ken
Blanchard & Sheldon Bowles* - *I ordered this book after listening to
author Ken Blanchard at a leadership/management conference a few years
back. On the surface, the book seems to be aimed at  businesses larger
than our often one-person-does-everything model. Again, clarified
customer service principles certainly have a place in the winning
strategy of any sized business, including piano service. Blanchard
partners with other excellent authors to produce a number of valuable
written business resources. Get "Raving Fans " new or used from Amazon
for about 4 bucks. Highly recommended by Phil.

Blanchard Website: http://www.blanchardlearning.com
Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Raving-Fans-Revolutionary-Approach-Customer/dp/0688123163

cheers!

Phil Manning

  /Artist Piano Care/
E X C E L L E N C E ~ F I N E LY  T U N E D
web: www.artistpianocare.ca
    tel: 416-907-3562
    cel: 905-626-3727
   phil at artistpianocare.ca