[pianotech] Good business reads - perhaps OT

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 17 08:08:01 PDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 8:21 AM, phil at emvkeys.ca <phil at emvkeys.ca> wrote:

> Hi list - if this should be listed as off topic, certainly say so
>
> I'm still in my first year of business as a piano technician so I haven't
> much to contribute of technical value at this point.
> I have, however, had many years in various businesses (successful and
> otherwise) and I'd like to make a suggestion in response to recent threads
> surrounding the various business aspects of our trade - that is, the
> submission to the list of short reviews of written business resources that
> are not specific to our industry
>
> May I suggest a few good reads which, being principle-based, might have
> profitable application for those of us who don't have a full schedule, for
> whatever reason.
>
> Here are two to start with
>
> *1. Guerilla Marketing: Secrets for Making Big Profits From Your Small
> Business *- Jay Conrad Levinson* - *I was given this book as part of a
> marketing seminar I attend several years ago. It basically covers about a
> bazillion things a small business owner can do *virtually for free*  to
> market his/her small business. Not everything applies to every small
> business but the clarified Guerrilla Marketing principles cause the reader
> to think differently about advertising methods and their effectiveness,
> highlighting the fact that small businesses have a huge advantage over large
> corporations with multi-million dollar advertising budgets. This book has
> spawned somewhat of a cult following as well as a number of follow-up books
> and resources. The original book is certainly out of date (pre-internet) but
> still valuable and available. Get it new or used from Amazon for about 4
> bucks. Highly recommended by Phil.
>
> Guerilla Marketing Website: http://www.gmarketing.com
> Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0395906253/guerrillmarke-20
>
> 2. *Raving Fans: A Revolutionary Approach To Customer Service - *Ken
> Blanchard & Sheldon Bowles* - *I ordered this book after listening to
> author Ken Blanchard at a leadership/management conference a few years back.
> On the surface, the book seems to be aimed at  businesses larger than our
> often one-person-does-everything model. Again, clarified customer service
> principles certainly have a place in the winning strategy of any sized
> business, including piano service. Blanchard partners with other excellent
> authors to produce a number of valuable written business resources. Get
> "Raving Fans " new or used from Amazon for about 4 bucks. Highly recommended
> by Phil.
>
> Blanchard Website: http://www.blanchardlearning.com
> Amazon:
> http://www.amazon.com/Raving-Fans-Revolutionary-Approach-Customer/dp/0688123163
>
> cheers!
>
> Phil Manning
>
>   *Artist Piano Care*E X C E L L E N C E ~ F I N E LY  T U N E D web: www.artistpianocare.ca    tel: 416-907-3562    cel: 905-626-3727   phil at artistpianocare.ca

Thanks Phil, I was also in some other businesses and my mother was in
advertising for the last 30 years of her working life so I learned a great
deal from her about advertising.
All of that aside, I believe just as we can always learn more about our
business/trade, we can always learn new methods of running and marketing it.
So I again thank you for your information.

Mike

--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404