[pianotech] Aurally pure octaves

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Apr 17 08:35:17 PDT 2009

Ron.

I think this is exactly in line with what I said. I am very well
acquainted with what the Verituner does and doesn't. Indeed, two months
before its release I went on record complaining about the single partial
approach and got snowed on by a few folks for thinking it was even
possible to do a multi-partial ETD. It does not listen to the note to be
tuned before deciding its target, which was central to the point I made
about ETD's not being able (at present) to find any sweet spot. The
other central moment is the degree of para inharmonicity at this level
of accuracy. It needs to be taken into account to find any sweet
spot....which implies direct comparison of both notes simultaneously....
at the very least.  That is precisely what ear tuners... especially
those disciples of Smith do that an ETD doesn't.

Cheers
RicB

    You may want to revisit your research into the Verituner.  While not
    listening to the ENTIRE spectrum of at least two different notes, it
    does use the information from a good number of partials to make
    tuning target placement choices.  Combined with a thoughtful use of
    the custom style function, the technician can dictate which two or
    more notes are to be compared when calculating the tuning for each
    specific note.  I've advocated a two-pass tuning for a number of
    years to allow the machine to have all of the inharmonicity data
    during the fine tuning pass.  The Verituner really is different from
    the rest in that respect.  The result is NOT a smooth curve tuning
    at any single partial level.

    Ron Koval
    Chicagoland