[pianotech] Aurally pure octaves

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Apr 17 08:43:20 PDT 2009

I hear ya Andrew !  I gave up on strict reliance on tuning curves a long
time ago.  I use a Tunelab generated P-12ths curve as a template only.
And all notes to be tuned get referenced by the 12th below or above that
is already tuned. For example.... if I'm to tune G5 then TL is set to
display C4 3rd partial.  C4 and G5 are both tuned to this exact same
frequency.  The lower base gets cross referenced to 6:1 and 6:2
coincidents in similar fashion... and the whole tuning gets aurally
tweaked in this so called <<whole tone style>> when I'm done.

Cheers
RicB

    Hear here,
    I've always been suspicious of "tuning-curves" because pianos don't
    have smooth inharmonicity "curves".

    I didn't like the priorities the VT100 came with.  I changed them
    and  now produce a tuning like I do aurally: every time and in all
    environments that the tuner can still pick up the piano sound in
    (ie  too noisy for me to do aurally).

    Check it out,
    Andrew Anderson