[pianotech] Understanding Aftertouch

andré oorebeek oorebeek at planet.nl
Fri Apr 17 07:58:29 PDT 2009

At Yamaha they have an aftertouch of 0,4 mm.
Press lightly on the key so that you barely see the white under your
nail.
The hammer should move upwards just a tiny bit (0,4 mm)

That is an average.
You can opt for a "hard landing" with hardly any aftertouch, or a
"soft landing" with more than 0,4 mm.
MOre than a full mm results in a waste of movement, energy, and tone.

OOR

friendly greetings
from
André Oorebeek