[pianotech] Understanding Aftertouch

David Nereson da88ve at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 01:54:25 PDT 2009

At Yamaha they have an aftertouch of 0,4 mm.
Press lightly on the key so that you barely see the white under your
nail.
The hammer should move upwards just a tiny bit (0,4 mm)

That is an average.
You can opt for a "hard landing" with hardly any aftertouch, or a "soft
landing" with more than 0,4 mm.
MOre than a full mm results in a waste of movement, energy, and tone.

OOR

       In my opinion, the above would apply to a concert instrument
that's in a climate-controlled environment.  For the average home piano,
keybeds swell up and down, pianos go years without regulating, the
players usually aren't concert artists, and my previous post's maximum
aftertouch spec. of 1/8" (and I realize that's a LOT) is more realistic,
I think.  Now, that's hammer rise after drop, not an extra 1/8" of key
dip!
    --David Nereson, RPT