[pianotech] Understanding Aftertouch

andré oorebeek oorebeek at planet.nl
Sat Apr 18 06:18:28 PDT 2009

On Apr 18, 2009, at 10:54 AM, David Nereson wrote:

> At Yamaha they have an aftertouch of 0,4 mm.
> Press lightly on the key so that you barely see the white under your
> nail.
> The hammer should move upwards just a tiny bit (0,4 mm)
>
> That is an average.
> You can opt for a "hard landing" with hardly any aftertouch, or a
> "soft landing" with more than 0,4 mm.
> MOre than a full mm results in a waste of movement, energy, and tone.
>
> OOR
>

>        In my opinion, the above would apply to a concert instrument
> that's in a climate-controlled environment.  For the average home
> piano, keybeds swell up and down, pianos go years without
> regulating, the players usually aren't concert artists, and my
> that's a LOT) is more realistic, I think.  Now, that's hammer rise
> after drop, not an extra 1/8" of key dip!
>     --David Nereson, RPT

An after touch of 0,4 mm is the average and pretty safe, actually very
safe.
Key height adjustment (on a modern instrument with key frame bolts)
can be done in 2 minutes or less.
Regularly putting teflon powder on knuckles helps too, and some minor
regulation every now and then is normal.
That's how we earn our money.
With all respect for a different way of thinking, I nevertheless
always aim for a 'reasonable' perfection.
That makes money too.

friendly greetings
from
André Oorebeek