[pianotech] plate breakage

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 17 08:44:58 PDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 8:59 AM, Leslie Bartlett
<l-bartlett at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> Do you who have had troubles with this (others too) tell customers about
> the significant possibility of string breakage *and* plate breakage before
> starting a pitch raise?
> les bartlett

 Hi Les,
I always mention the possibility of some strings breaking when I'm raising
pitch 1/2 tone or more. I customarily inspect the piano for any back
seperations, both top and bottom and check the tightness of plate screws.
If I find or suspect a back seperation, if it's a minor one, I mark the ends
and date them so I can check to see if it progresses, if it's a larger one,
not necessarily in width but if I can insert my cleaning steel more than 3 "
or so into it, I'll recommend bolting prior to tuning.
I have on some of the old uprights withthe center hinge and the board glued
to the top taken that off to inspect because the plate appeared to be
leaning forward. I usually check first with my pocket rule to see if there
are changes in depth from the edge of the board to the face of th plate,
when that's possible. On a few occasions there was no seperation, on most
there was.

I have been very lucky(knocking wood)to have not had a plate crack while I
was tuning the piano in 40 years of working on them. I have discovered
them(cracks) prior to tuning.
I even discovered a unique repair on one. The crack was just about in the
middle of an old upright extending from the bottom upward about 5" to a
point where some past tech had drilled a hole and installed a lag bolt
through the plate into the lower beam. I discovered it AFTER I had tuned it
when I was doing some pedal adjustment.

Mike

--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404