[pianotech] Subject:* Tuning dangers (was Brands prone to breaking > plates)

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 03:16:56 PDT 2009

  Claude wrote:  I've had a couple of bass strings break like that.  I
usually lower the
> lid when I tune the bass section, especially if there is anything precious
> or expensive in harm's way.

Claude - This happened to me once, and I wouldn't have believed it was
possible if I hadn't seen it for myself. I was tuning a Kawai grand at an
LDS church in our area, with the lid closed. A bass string broke while I was
tuning with a particularly loud bang. Muttering to myself (I had 3 more
pianos in the church to tune yet) I opened the lid to retrieve the string.
It wasn't there! In confusion I started looking around, and there on the
floor up against the wall was the string. It had flown between the 1/4"
separation between the bottom of the lid and the upper part of the rim!
There were a few little nicks along the edge of the lid, but other than
that, the finish was unscathed. I would like to know what speed the string
was traveling at for it to fly out of there like that. I don't remember
which string it was, exactly, but it was one of the very lower ones, so it
had a lot of mass to carry it.
>From that time on, I make sure that no one walks behind a grand piano while
I'm tuning it!  Chuck