[pianotech] discount follow up

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Sun Apr 19 10:10:32 PDT 2009

I have to agree with making phone calls.  I rarely send out reminder cards.  I only make phone calls to those that I have asked in advance if they would like for me to call them.  If them hem or haw, they don't go on the list.  If they haven't scheduled in 5 years or more, they go off from the call list and on my final call to them, I often say that "I assume you do not wished to be called any longer as you are not returning my calls and that's fine but, if I do not hear back from you then, I am deleting you from my call back list and will await your phone call to me.  Just remember that I am usually scheduling anywhere from 1 month to 3 or more months in advance depending on the time of year so, when you do call, bear that in mind."  Often times, I'll get a response back scheduling.  If not, oh well...

We start our calling by making contact first with our institutional work.  I.e., colleges, churches, schools and then other organizations....  I've been calling them for so many years that they have become accustomed to it and prefer it by waiting for me to make the contact to them. (Because they know I will) Unless of course, they have something special that has come up.  Then, I'll squeeze them in after hours or during my lunch hour.  Either that, or I will sub-contract it done.

I set it up in order of importance.  I call my college first, churches 2nd, schools third, other organizations 4th, homes last.  I usually try and call 1-2 months ahead of time.  But, not always, it depends on what my schedule is.

The first 4 on my list will schedule 99% of the time according to the preset schedule that I had set up with them in our initial contact whether that be monthly bi-monthly or yearly.  I then, set up the dates as far ahead as their schedule will allow to help eliminate pestering them and wasting my time with reminder calls.  Usually, I can schedule each one of them from August through December calling again after Christmas to schedule through June if possible.

I have always asked them on the job or via the phone what special events they might have this year throughout the fall and into the Easter season so we can schedule according to their needs, not mine.  I make them sound important, like I am looking out for their needs and I am.

I also try to remember to get their email addresses' so I can send a short email telling them that it is time again. You might be surprised at how many appointments I make from email scheduling.  From previous scheduling, I know about what times and dates generally work best for them and then make a suggestion and then wait for a response typing them into my schedule with a notation "CONFIRM" so that I know it is not a firm appointment yet. I almost always get a response via email within a few days thanking me for the reminder and my contact.

One more thing that has worked rather well for me, is instead of asking IF they want them tuned, I tell them that it is time to have them tuned and then I ask them what times and days work best for them? I have great success at it.

Now, hear this.  This is very important.  Not all of us are good phone people.  We need to realize our weaknesses.  This is mine.  I love returning phone calls but, quite Frankly, I absolutely HATE doing the reminder calling.  In fact, I despise it!!!  Consequently, it would never get done. So, I either hire it done by someone with a sweet disposition, or I have my wife do the reminder calling while I sit at the computer pointing at the available dates in my calendar so I'm not flying from one area to another.  I type in the information (she's slow as molasses at typing but is excellent with customers) as she schedules them.  Works great for me...

Sorry for a long email but, this does work great for me and has for 29 years since I started doing it this way.