[pianotech] discount follow up

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 21 07:34:47 PDT 2009

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 8:43 PM, William Monroe <bill at a440piano.net> wrote:

> Dittos.  Phone calls schedule clients.  I send out emails and postcards to
> those not on email.  In the past, I always followed up in a week or two with
> the phone call, and THAT is when I really filled the schedule.  Fortunately
> for me, I'm busy enough now that I don't have to worry about phone calls and
> just stick with email/postcards.  If things slow down, however, I'll make
> phone calls again, knowing I'll get a better return this way.
>
> William R. Monroe
>

> On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 11:36 AM, Al Guecia/AlliedPianoCraft <
> AlliedPianoCraft at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I agree with James here. A card, followed by a call. The calls gets twice
>> as many appointments as the cards do.
>>
>> Al

 I have found, more so in recent years, an increasing number of customers,
mostly schools and churches are making appointments via e-mail. I've always
been a phone person and didn't get it until one of the teachers explained
that the schools were requiring them to come to the office to make long
distance calls, even toll calls. The one I'm speaking of costs a nickel a
minute. So she always schedules via e-mail as do many of the several school
districts I tune for in the small towns surrounding this area. It also works
to their advantage because during the school day when they would call to
schedule, I wouldn't be here, they would leave a message and by the time I
got home they would be gone for the day. I have put my cell number on my
answering machine message but many wouldn't use it.
Ocassionally when they have something come up and need the piano done
quickly they will call me using their own cell phones.

Discounts have not been a part of my business for many years with a few
exceptions. When I am putting a Dampp-Chaser and piano cover on a church
piano I customarily make them a package price taking a percentage off the
total and installing it for free.

I also have a few non-profit functions I tune for on a once a year basis
that in exchange for a mention in the program I discount my tuning charge.
Other than those I have discounted to no one, bargained on final price for a
full rebuild on ocassion but not often.

Earlier in my career, against the advice of 2 of my mentors, I offered
discounts to schools, churches and the like. Slowly as I built a steady
clientele and the price of a piano tuning rose with the cost of living, I
began to realize what my mentors had been trying to tell me. The people
and/or institutions you are discounting to not only don't appreciate it but
said nothing when I quietly discontinued the discounts and have continued to
do business with me.

One thing I did learn about discount coupons. My niece opened a Printing
shop here in West Salem, WI Population 4,819. A few years after I moved here
almost 13 years ago. About a year after she opened it she called with a
"deal" for me she would print up some coupons offering 20% off a first
tuning to be placed in the local paper. Which I figured only would go at
most to half or 2/3's of the homes in town, I forgot it was also delivered
by mail to the rural areas and to the next town up the road of the same
approximate size. I said OK, they were distrubuted, I got some intial calls
and thought well it at least paid for it self and a little more.
Wrong, she didn't put a limiting date on them, I still get people handing me
one every so often 8 years later!!

Mike
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404