[pianotech] Toy piano scaling

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 08:40:52 PDT 2009

The problem is that Schoenhut outsourced the building of their toy pianos
and the quality took a nose dive. The tunings were even more erratic and the
tone of the tines less musical. Maybe they've gotten better lately - I
haven't played one in a year or so.

The fellow that put on the toy piano recital here had about 20 of these
things in his apartment. It was striking how much better some of them
sounded than others. The old Jaymars seem pretty good.

For many children this is their first experience with a piano like object.
It's too bad that they aren't more musical. I've often thought it would be
interesting to try and build some decent quality ones. It would have to be a
labor of love since it would be tough to make any money at it.

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter