[pianotech] Boston Question

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 22 09:01:47 PDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 6:58 AM, Avery Todd <ptuner1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> List,
>
> Thanks for all the replies. Some good information, as usual. I'm going to
> respond to several things in one post to avoid some clutter.
>
> 1. Thanks for the correction(s) on the piano size. That was what I was told
> over the phone. I haven't seen the piano yet, so wasn't sure & am not very
> familiar with Bostons.
> 2. Thanks for the link to David Kirkland (email) & the warranty
> possibility.
> 3. Actually, it isn't what I'D call a "very large church". That was the
> term used but it actually seats about 400 or so, I was told. I believe it's
> the First Baptist Church in the town in which it's located.
> 4. I thought about the church climate thing too. It had to be touched up
> during a recording session once when the tuner happened to be there. I know
> that's not too unusual. They also said that it will go out even during a
> service.
> 5. As far as the moving distance/frequency & if it's tuned "after" it's
> moved, I don't know. As far as pin torque & a few other questions asked of
> me, I just don't know yet.
>
> Without having seen the piano, I tend to agree that the most logical reason
> is string rendering problems. When/if I see the instrument, I'll check all
> the other things mentioned, also.
>
> The phone call was from a dealer I do quite a bit of work for (not in
> Houston) and the music director was very honest with him about the problems,
> so he's trying to decide how much might be a fair offer & is a little
> reluctant to take it in on a trade because of the warranty he would be
> putting on the instrument for whoever might buy it. He's very conscientious.
>

> I'll forward all the information you all so graciously provided and we'll
> go from there. I may suggest that he have me tune the piano so I can examine
> it and also try some of your suggestions to see if it'll help. With all the
> pretty heavy players I've tuned for at the University of Houston, I can give
> a pretty stable tuning, so at least that part of the equation might be
> eliminated. <grin>
>
> Thanks again for all the help.
>
> Avery Todd, RPT
> University of Houston, ret.
> Houston, TX

Hi Avery,

I tune & service 2 Boston grands regularly, one is a GP-178 in a home the
other is a GP-218(discontinued model) in a church
Both are fitted with full Dampp-Chaser systems and the church piano also has
a full drop cover obtained from Jansen Piano Accesories. The church is a
newer all cement and brick building and seats perhaps 4 to 500.
I have not had any problems such as you describe on either, the 178 is
coming up on 10 years old and the 218 is about 4.

I do use heavy test blows to set my tunings. The Bostons render quite well
using this practice.

Mike

--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404