[pianotech] Boston Question

Avery Todd ptuner1 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 04:58:55 PDT 2009

List,

Thanks for all the replies. Some good information, as usual. I'm going to
respond to several things in one post to avoid some clutter.

1. Thanks for the correction(s) on the piano size. That was what I was told
over the phone. I haven't seen the piano yet, so wasn't sure & am not very
familiar with Bostons.
2. Thanks for the link to David Kirkland (email) & the warranty possibility.

3. Actually, it isn't what I'D call a "very large church". That was the term
used but it actually seats about 400 or so, I was told. I believe it's the
First Baptist Church in the town in which it's located.
4. I thought about the church climate thing too. It had to be touched up
during a recording session once when the tuner happened to be there. I know
that's not too unusual. They also said that it will go out even during a
service.
5. As far as the moving distance/frequency & if it's tuned "after" it's
moved, I don't know. As far as pin torque & a few other questions asked of
me, I just don't know yet.

Without having seen the piano, I tend to agree that the most logical reason
is string rendering problems. When/if I see the instrument, I'll check all
the other things mentioned, also.

The phone call was from a dealer I do quite a bit of work for (not in
Houston) and the music director was very honest with him about the problems,
so he's trying to decide how much might be a fair offer & is a little
reluctant to take it in on a trade because of the warranty he would be
putting on the instrument for whoever might buy it. He's very conscientious.

I'll forward all the information you all so graciously provided and we'll go
from there. I may suggest that he have me tune the piano so I can examine it
and also try some of your suggestions to see if it'll help. With all the
pretty heavy players I've tuned for at the University of Houston, I can give
a pretty stable tuning, so at least that part of the equation might be
eliminated. <grin>

Thanks again for all the help.

Avery Todd, RPT
University of Houston, ret.