[pianotech] Quote follow-up

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 22 10:55:33 PDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 11:35 AM, Mike Spalding
<mike.spalding1 at verizon.net>wrote:

> Matthew,
>
> There is no one set procedure that's going to work for every situation.  I
> send the proposal in the format preferred by the customer, which is more and
> more often e-mail, sometimes in the text of the e-mail and sometimes a Word
> attachment.  Contracts are a whole different matter.  Hard copy only, by
> mail or in person, two copies both signed by me, one to sign and return and
> one to keep.
>
> Mike
>
> Matthew Todd wrote:
>
>>  Just curious as to how you guys handle your quotes.  If you e-mail them
>> or send them in the mail.  And then, how long do we typically wait until we
>> contact them to hear a decision?
>>
>> ***_TODD PIANO WORKS_*
>> Matthew Todd, Piano Technician
>> (979) 248-9578
>> http://www.toddpianoworks.com <http://www.toddpianoworks.com/>

Hi Matthew,

I handle my quotes as the others do.

Regarding the decision, I was once in sales and we were taught to make our
presentation, ask for the sale, then shutup.

The axiom was he who speaks first, loses!

In this situation you can wait 3 or 4 days if sent by e-mail, 4 or 5 if sent
by snail mail and if you haven't heard anything, call to confirm that they
received it. At that point there would be an opening for any questions or
discussion.

You didn't ask but since I have been complemented more than once on my
quotes I will share, briefly, how I write a quote.
I begin by using high quality paper, set aside only for hand delivered or
mailed quotes with my letterhead/logo on the top of the first page. Using a
business letter format I list their name address, etc.
I begin with, Estimate of repairs on XXXXXXyzzz grand piano Serial # 123456,
I then head the first paragraph as Overview in Bold type
I list the positives and negatives of the instrument using numbers in quotes
that refer to an action diagram I downloaded from the Internet. I then begin
the second paragraph, again in bold type, as Proposed Repairs and proceed to
outline parts replacement/repair and adjustment explaining in layman's terms
what, for instance, a regulation is and consists of, again using numbers
from the chart.
I head the last page as Estimated Cost of Repairs, again in Bold Type after
listing those repairs/parts and their costs I add a
paragraph at the bottom explaining terms of payment etc. and below that a
place for both of us to sign.

Remember the insides of the piano that are so familiar to us are a
mysterious jumble of parts and terms that they are very unfamiliar with. The
more comfortable you can make them, the better your chance of landing the
job.

Mike
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404