[pianotech] bass strings installation

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Thu Apr 23 09:19:00 PDT 2009

Marcel:

I stick all of the waiting strings into a long cardboard mailing tube  to
keep them from flying, laying on a pad on the piano with the loop end toward
the bass. I install either 2 or 4 of them at a time on the hitch pins and
keep them in place with a series of small spring clamps while I walk to the
front, cut to length, insert into the agraffe, and then coil and drive the
pin.  I then walk back to the tail, put the twists in each of the strings,
install the  next 2 or 4 on the hitches, walk back to the front, bring the
prior batch  up to tension, and then begin with the current group, cutting and
pinning. And  so on. This generally takes about an hour of focused work.
There are those  who put the twist in the pin end, but it makes no
difference--the time is  the same.

Paul

In a message dated 4/23/2009 9:57:51 A.M. Central Daylight Time,