[pianotech] bass strings installation

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Thu Apr 23 10:14:42 PDT 2009

Marcel

With the lid off, I put all the strings on the hitchpins, and through the agraffs, starting at the last note of the bass section.?Depending on your height, and how many strings there are in the bass section, you should be able to put all of them on by standing along the long side of the piano. Bit sometimes you do wind up walking around the piano.

After all the strings are in place,?I put masking tape across?the hitch pins and on the bridge, to keep the strings in?place.?I then cut all the strings to length, (three fingers past the pin hole.) Then, starting on note one,?I work my way up, coiling, driving and pulling up the strings tight enough to?keep them on the bridge and?hitch pins,?two strings at a time. After the pin is driven, I use a ratchet with a tuning tip?in my left hand to pull up the tension, (pushing away from my body), while pulling up the coil with a coil lifter in my right hand. You do have to be a little careful not to let the?ends of the unstrung strings poke you in your hand, but after doing this a few times, you learn how not to get "stung". I can do a 36 note bass section in about 45 minutes.

Wim