[pianotech] WD-40

Steve Brooks smbrooks at sprynet.com
Thu Apr 23 09:34:02 PDT 2009

Yup. Water Displacement - 40th formulation.

Mostly it's made of mineral oil, Vaseline and the goop that's inside of
lava lamps.

WD-40 consists of:

Decane: a common ingredient in gasoline - helps WD-40 remain liquid at
freezing temperatures. Decane freezes at -21 F.

Nonane: hydrogen atoms don't hold a charge and makes WD-40 slippery.

Tridecane and Undecane: major pheramone product of the redbanded
stinkbug, cockroaches and ants. Probably attracts them. Slippery, freeze
resistant.

Tetradecane: another alkane. Similar.

Dimethyl Naphthalene: solvent used in high performance engineering
plastics. Also a hormone produced by potatoes. Excellent solvent.

Cyclohexane: ring shaped alkane with a high melting point. (Am told
huffing this will knock you out cold.)

Carbon dioxide: inert propellant.

That's it. Baby oil and bug juice. Secret? Yes. I just happen to have a
gas chromatography and mass spectroscope in my barn ... and I stayed at
a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Cheers,
Steve Brooks

--
“I place economy among thefirst and most important republican virtues,and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared. To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt.”-- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826), Source: letter to William Plumer