[pianotech] Polyester Repair problem

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 20:41:47 PDT 2009

Dear List - In repairing a chip on the front of a Yamaha fallboard using the
Schaff polyester repair kit, I got too ambitious with the 500 grit wet/dry
paper during the leveling out step and rubbed through the black in a spot
next to the fill. Since I'm only at 500 grit, I'm sure the problem will
worsen as I go through the rest of the grits. When I realized what had
happened, I decided I needed to stop right there until I was sure of what
steps I should be taking next.
I'm clearly out of my element here, and need advise. Do I need to spray
over  the entire front of the fallboard, or just the side on which the
repair is located and feather it out,  or is a simple touching up of the
rub-through possible? What product or product and techniques would work the
best? I have a good compressor and spray equipment, if that would be needed.
My only concern is that the completed job looks right when it's done.
 Rarely does anything less than 75 years old come into our shop, so working
with hi-gloss ebony is something I hardly ever do. Words of wisdom from
someone in the know would be highly appreciated.   Thanks in advance, Chuck