[pianotech] Polyester Repair problem

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 05:24:18 PDT 2009

Ruth Phillips sells a product for this problem. (www.alliedpiano.com)  It's
acrylic enamel, used because of thin Yamaha finishes and the problems that
develop as a result. You may brush it on, or spray for better results. I
brushed on three coats, then sanded and polished like you would polyester.
It turned out OK, keeping in mind that it was a REPAIR. If I had had proper
refinishing stuff, like a small sprayer and electric buffer, it would have
been nearly invisible. It buffs to a shine very nearly equivalent to poly.
You could always try the spot repair first. If that didn't work, it wouldn't
take too much time to spray the entire fallboard and polish.  If you wanted
to get it right the first time, you could plan to do the entire fallboard.
 It is a mechanical bond, so you must first scuff up the existing finish
with 600 or so grit.

Ruth was very helpful. This was my first (and only so far) poly repair, and
it turned into a nightmare because I sanded through the thin layer.  Great
learning experience -- negative income, though.  Because of carelessness, I
had chipped the bottom of the fallboard with a hammer screw when removing
the action.  :-(

--
JF