[pianotech] Protek CLP question

Floyd Gadd fg at floydgadd.com
Thu Apr 23 21:45:54 PDT 2009

About five years ago I applied Protek CLP to the hammer flanges of the
treble section of a 1966 Mason and Risch console piano that had some
sluggishness in the hammers.  I think I noticed some slight improvement, if
I remember correctly, but as I have revisited the piano more or less
annually the problem has become more severe.  When I tuned it a year ago,
working through the treble section past the dampers was almost an exercise
in futility, so I determined that next time I saw the piano, I would make
sure I had time to address the problem in a meaningful way.

I tuned the piano today.  Pulled the action first, repinned the hammer
flanges on notes 79 to 88.  Coming out of the piano, the hammers would not
complete a full swing. Jacks were sluggish too, but I did not address them
this time around.  I had not lubricated the jacks in the past.

The treble hammer flanges, until I repinned them, were worse than when I
first visited the piano. I had to wonder if the CLP contributed to the
deterioration of the action's performance over the five year term.  I would
think that the piano would be more or less stable at the age of 38 years.
Any ideas?

Floyd Gadd
Manitoba chapter