[pianotech] Polyester Repair problem

pmc033 at earthlink.net pmc033 at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 23 23:39:30 PDT 2009

Hi, Chuck:
    Unless you are lucky, going further is probably not going to make things better.  Using a different type of material and attempting to blend the area won't work, as a high gloss cannot be achieved to match the poly.  If the area is small, like the size of your little fingernail, you may be able to fake something.  But, if you attempt to fill the larger bare/grey area with polyester, when you go to level it, you'll only reveal more undercoat and make the problem worse.   If there is someone in your area that refinishes in poly, you could sub it out.
    It is possible that the original finish was a very thin urethane instead of poly, and thus you sanded the finish off, not recognizing the "imposter".  Yamaha finishes are extremely thin, even in polyester, and sanding through is easy to do and not easily repaired.  Not only that, Yamaha poly is very hard.  That makes it more likely that the new repair material will be worn away as you buff, leaving a divot.
    I wish I could tell you how to spray polyester, but I have never attempted it.  I know two shops locally that do that, so if you are stuck and want to go in this direction, I could send you to the right people.
    Quoting an ex-president, "I feel your pain".
    Paul McCloud