[pianotech] unusual english piano

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Sat Apr 25 07:56:35 PDT 2009

Fortunately, spinets are starting to get fewer and fewer in numbers.
Indeed another nasty thing to work on, but hey, replacing the dreaded
plastic elbows from the 40's and 50's is easy money.  I just get
disappointed with them in that they don't sound all that much better after
they've been tuned.  I have run across a few Acrosonics over the years
that are respectable though.  I suppose there are fewer birdcages in the
US as they had a difficult ocean, rail passage and/or covered wagon to
deal with.  Probably more of them on the east coast than out west. The
1880's was still "The Old West"  What we have here is a ton of the huge
old uprights like Bush and Lane...They just won't give up! :>)

Paul

"David Boyce" <David at piano.plus.com>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
04/24/2009 05:22 PM
Please respond to
pianotech at ptg.org

<pianotech at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [pianotech] unusual english piano

And incidentally, I'd rather work on the various birdcage pianos we have
so many of here, than the many dropped-action console/spinet pianos you
have in the US! (We have a few here too, of course, but not in the same
proportion).

Best,

David.