[pianotech] bass twisting direction

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat Apr 25 08:45:23 PDT 2009

At 10:47 -0400 25/4/09, Piano Boutique wrote:

>I think the point that needs to be made hereÊis that, which ever way
>you look at it, the twist should make the rapping tighter.   What
>makes me angry is when the rapping gets tighter and it loosens the
>way the loop is made.

Yes, and there are a surprising number of strings made like that.
The eye should tend to tighten in the same direction as the top
cover.  Which way the top cover goes depends on the particular
string-maker's choice -- there's no right or wrong about it, but the
eyes must be twisted the same way.  I twist the eyes clockwise and
wind on the top cover from the right, as most German string-makers
have always done.  Many English-made strings are covered from the
left but it is not unusual to find the eyes turned to the right
nevertheless.

JD