[pianotech] bass string twisting direction and a new query

John Dorr a440 at bresnan.net
Sun Apr 26 08:03:44 PDT 2009

Ok, ok, ok.  I got it.  I understand.  Finally.  My brain has so many ways of
"twisting" things spatially, that I finally figured out WHAT you guys are
saying about CW or CCW being the same from either end.  I won't tell you what
got me on the wrong path thinking about it, because it was erroneous anyway.
 I finally drew it all out on paper and looked at the paper from each end
figuring out what I was effectively trying to do.  NOW I finally understand
truly which way to twist a string.  Thanks for the enlightenment.

Thank you all for your patience and persistence.  I can be a knucklehead,
obviously!

NOW... another question or two... Why does it sometimes (not always) seem to
make things not change or even WORSE to twist a string?  Maybe they were
twisted previously and further change is no help?  Or harmful?  (Yes, I
twisted them before today's serendipitous moment, but I twisted them BOTH
ways, to check to see if either way would improve sound.)

Second question:  if twisting from the loop end, which I imagine is what
everybody does on an OLD string you're trying to improve, shouldn't you go in
whole turns rather than half turns?  Seems like half turns change the bends in
the wire through the bridge pins.  Or is my thinkin' stinkin' there?