[pianotech] bass string twisting direction and a new query

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun Apr 26 10:24:33 PDT 2009

At 09:03 -0600 26/4/09, John Dorr wrote:

>NOW... another question or two... Why does it sometimes (not always)
>seem to make things not change or even WORSE to twist a string?
>Maybe they were twisted previously and further change is no help?
>Or harmful?  (Yes, I twisted them before today's serendipitous
>moment, but I twisted them BOTH ways, to check to see if either way
>would improve sound.)

So far as I, at least, am concerned, we have been talking about
twisting new, good strings; not about twisting old strings that have
gone dud.  If I come across  a buzzing, lifeless or false string on a
piano, I replace it with a new one because the deterioration in the
sound, supposing it sounded well when it was put on, is probably
irremediable.  For example a German piano with an iron under-cover on
the singles that has rusted, is going to sound no better if you twist
the strings.

>Second question:  if twisting from the loop end, which I imagine is
>what everybody does on an OLD string you're trying to improve,
>shouldn't you go in whole turns rather than half turns?  Seems like
>half turns change the bends in the wire through the bridge pins.  Or
>is my thinkin' stinkin' there?

Well, while you're at it you might as well work in whole turns and
increase your chances.

JD