[pianotech] bass string twisting direction and a new query

perrys piano restorations perrymark at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 27 05:29:52 PDT 2009

Hello JD!

My name is Mark Perry and I live in Virginia USA.  First, as to the direction to twist a bass string, this has recently been compromised by chinese pianos.  Generally, you must always twist the bass string in the direction of the copper winding so as to tighten that winding.  It makes no difference on the bridge pin either, as the bass string itself will actually twist under tension, and the bridge pin endures the exact same side-load no matter how many twists you have. so don't be afraid to add A whole turn, or more.

Next, I mentioned chinese bass strings..... this is an un-believeable fact!  Have you technicians ever noticed how good Dongbei pianos sound for about 3 years?  then the bass starts buzzing, or sounding metallic?  Here is the EXACT reason why!  (this includes cheap quality SAMA rebuilds too!)  Those bass strings wound in communist china are wound in opposing directions!  First, they wind the copper winding One direction, then they wind the hitch point the opposite direction!  STUPID!  Anyone knows that this string will un-wind itself under tension.  To resolve the problem, these strings are "yield tested", or pre-pulled at the factory as it would be.  If you have to wind the hitch in a direction that unwinds the hitch in order to tighten the copper winding whats the point?  So, remember that the quality of those Mapes strings comes with years of good engineering and a good work ethic.  This will help you to understand why you can twist a fairly new string and it does little or no good.

p.s.  Look closely at the next chinese piano..... you'll see what I mean!  I sent a set of these strings to Mapes and they were shocked!  Sama uses these garbage strings on their rebuilds too.

God bless,

Mark