[pianotech] [CAUT] More Bohemia

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Apr 28 12:36:22 PDT 2009

Bernhard

No, the point is that you just dont seem to be able to accept that I
came up with my own P-12ths idea without any knowledge of you or your
work nor being influenced by you in any way.  It was nearly 10 years ago
now and it does matter exactly given the kind of accusations you keep
leveling at me. Since you were unwilling to see the obvious truth of
this from reading my early posts on the subject and pressed me to
produce some evidence of other influence I did so.  How anyone could
read Gary's article and conclude anything else then that he was working
with 12ths and 19th priority tuning rather then octave priority is
beyond me...  And indeed... he says this outright himself.  It is no
feat of genius to go from there to simply tuning the whole piano by
twelfths, dividing some middle 12th up into the 19th root of three as a
starting point.... just a cute idea that happened to work. And yes... I
shared this idea with others.... naturally enough.

As I said... I dont give a hoot about who's first and have never claimed
to be first myself. To what degree Garys article or any other that
surfaces constitutes prior knowledge in the context you are concerned
about is not for me to judge... nor do I care. Gary's article would have
no doubt stayed hidden in its 1982 journal had you not just accepted
that I didnt know anything about you or your work. So whatever
authenticity issues there are now out in the world are things you have
yourself to thank for I am afraid.

Once again... for my part I acknowledge that you were ... what 12 years
ahead of me with this idea ?  But I will not accept these insinuations
that I deliberately and knowingly pirated this idea from you or have
tried to "construct a prior art myth" of any kind.   Garys article
stands on its own.

Can we stop this now ?
RicB

        The point is, that you came out on the list with this "new"
        tuning  idea about six years ago (+-, it doesn´t matter
        exactly). As i jumped  on the list to enlighten you that there
        was published work by me on  the matter, it was apparantly quite
        hard for you to accept this fact.  All your writing about the
        matter in return had the intention to  "construct" a prior art
        myth before my work in return. You did not  even hesitate to
        twist the truth for that attempt. In no place in Gary  Schulze´s
        article he expresses his intention to set up a pure twelfth
        temperament. He is presenting an equal temperament of the 31th
        root of  six, to achieve as much as intervals as pure as
        possible. The formula  you formerly presented on the CAUT list
        as "prove", simply expressed  not what you wanted to interpreted
        from it.

        Bernhard Stopper