[pianotech] CONCERT PITCH 440/442?

Stéphane Collin collin.s at mobistar.be
Thu Apr 30 02:49:25 PDT 2009

Hello all.

In an orchestra, playing right has little to do with producing notes with
frequencies in the right theoretical proportion with the reference one (was
it 440 or 442).  The musicians always alter the pitch of one particular note
regarding many criteria.  The process is completely intuitive, and based on
the aim for everything sounding as good as possible.  When one musician
plays the fifth of a chord, he will intuitively alter the pitch (when
possible) so the fifth is perfect, because that is where his note sounds
best at that moment; another moment, the same written note can happen to be
the tenth of the chord, and then he will alter the pitch to make this tenth
sound best.  More than that, if he plays an expressive melodic line, he will
intuitively make some ascending half steps with slightly higher pitch than
the others, and descending ones with lower pitch, as this is a well known
efficient trick to make the melody expressive.  All this is done according
to what the other musicians do (they too may have altered their pitch,
sometimes in quite large proportions; for example, when playing fortissimo
the lowest note on a cello or a double bass, the pitch of the note raises
quite a lot because of the extra tension in the string, and the musician can
not correct this as it is an open string), so it is all about tweaking, all
the time.

Exactly like when we stretch the high treble of a piano in order to make the
treble notes sound better, all those pitch alterations are musically
desirable.  The problem is when we reach the limits of what is physically
feasible.  Problems are multiple, but I heard that one of the worse comes
from the brass instruments who are very sensitive to temperature.  The
instrument’s temperature will raise a lot from the beginning to the end of
the concert (the player continuously blows warm and wet air in the
instrument); of course, there are devices on the instrument and techniques
from the player to counter the bad effect of the temperature on the pitch,
but voila, here is a severe physical limitation.

When tuned to 440 Hz, the brass of an orchestra playing repertoire with busy
brass parts will be objectionably out of tune at the end of the concert.

Of course, when there is a piano involved, everybody gets crazy.
Nonetheless, when tweaking stays in the non objectionable domain, the music
will sound good, if god will.  There may be differences of a few cents
between instruments without real problems.  Anyway, the difference between
an equally tempered third on a piano and a “just” one like those played
intuitively by the strings lies inside this domain. Or ?

Stéphane Collin.

The 1st violinest overheard the conversation and came running up all
excited-and in broken english -Piano at 442 right - right. I answered yes,
Its 442,  I would just like to know WHY'