[pianotech] OT - Prius problems

Rob McCall rob at mccallpiano.com
Thu Apr 30 13:03:36 PDT 2009

Prius's are great cars.  After all, they are the "second" greenest car
in America!  ;-)

At least in California, Hybrid cars, like the Prius, can no longer get
HOV (High Occupancy Vehicles or Car Pool) lane stickers. However,
alternative fuel vehicles, such as the Civic GX, can still get them
today.

I did pay 25K for the car but I also got 10K back in rebates and
credits.  So I paid $10,000 less for my Honda, too!  :-)

The tipping point for me, however, was the fact that 90% of my fuel
comes from the US, with the remaining 10% or so from Canada and
Mexico.  I don't send 1 dime to any terrorist supporting OPEC nations.
I haven't paid for a drop of gasoline in over 2 years.  Also, since I
fuel up at home, the natural gas company gives me a discounted flat
rate for my entire house, as well.  The net result is that I pay about
$30-40 a month additional for vehicle fuel costs while driving almost
20,000 miles a year.

Yes, there are trade-offs, however they are insignificant for me
(since I don't own any unicycles!). :-)  The car isn't for everyone,
but it's a fantastic option for quite a few. The Prius makes a great
second choice!  :-)

Rob