[pianotech] Does mold affect glue integrity?

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Apr 30 13:10:34 PDT 2009

A Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol is also a good option...and then wiping
off the excess.

What caused the mold?  There might be further problems going on... maybe a
lot of problems!  Check the rest of the piano! Is it anywhere else?

Paul

wimblees at aol.com
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
04/30/2009 01:16 PM
Please respond to
pianotech at ptg.org

pianotech at ptg.org
cc

Subject
Re: [pianotech] Does mold affect glue integrity?

Julia

I don't think mold effects the glue, because mold is usually found only on
the surface. Most anti mold products found in the grocery or hardware
store will remove mold. They all contain some ammonia. But I would not
recommend spraying that stuff on the strings. If you've got mold on the
bridge, I don't think there is much you can do to remove it, except
carfully with a cotton swab, maing sure you clean the strings with water,
and then drying it.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Mililani, Oahu, HI