[pianotech] Choice of hammers

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Wed Dec 2 04:41:42 MST 2009

I believe it is, but I usually call Melanie (Brooks) when I order stuff.
They carry many hammers, and know their stock well.  You are no doubt
particular in what you are looking for, so a  conversation might be
worthwhile.

I bench voice the hammers to start, but that is because I know them
reasonably well, trust my skills, and don't get myself in trouble by
overdoing.    (Actually, I usually do this in a gang press before hanging)
Then hit it in the piano as needed.  As you know, needling is lots easier to
do on the bench in uprights.  As for technique, it's just deep needling in
the shoulders in the radial pattern from about 9 to 11 o'clock on each side,
4 or 5 sets of 3, decreasing as you get up into the treble.  Season to taste
from there.

Will