[pianotech] Choice of hammers

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed Dec 2 13:59:23 MST 2009

At 05:37 -0500 2/12/09, William Truitt wrote:

>...Brooks also sells the Abel Naturals, which I believe is the
>Wurzen felt?  I haven't tried them on uprights yet, but have liked
>the sound for grands.

The Abel "naturals" are NOT covered with Wurzen felt but with a felt
(ABEL NATUR FILZ or ABEL PREMIUM FILZ SPEZIAL) developed by Abel and
another European felt maker, at considerable cost, with a grant from
the European Community.

I am now having hammers made and re-covered by Abel exclusively using
this felt, since the results I have had with it have been so good.
The latest set is a re-covering for a BlŸthner overstrung/overdamped.
Most of the scale will need only light toning and the treble a little
more.  This felt is really easy to needle.

JD