[pianotech] Best Dinky Cheap Yamaha Grand yet

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Dec 2 07:28:01 MST 2009

Hi folks...

Since I lambasted a little Kawai piano a few days back I ran into
another what appeared at first glance to be a suspect little feller...
this time it was a Yamaha GP-1... really small thing. First one of these
I've bumped into over here.  Sat down thinking it probably would have an
ok treble but just awful bass and was very pleasantly surprised.  Make
no mistake about it the short bass strings are a detriment.... but given
the shortness of the scale and the low cost of the instrument I was...
well quite happy with the thing.  Easy to tune... no inharmonicity or
para problems to speak of... and the bass while a bit tinny was by no
means ugly at all. Quite ok indeed.

This was priced in the neighborhood of Petrof grands just a tad bit
longer here.... so that makes them just about as cheap as we get here in
Bergen.

Cheers
RicB